Translate

THE DIARY OF A CHICK WHO WALKED AWAY FROM ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS (THE CULT)

My photo
Boston, MA, United States
I don’t need an introduction.

Friday, November 26, 2010

I'm Grateful (Thanksgiving BONUS)

Okay, so I do not want to alarm you, but I have an announcement to make on this lovely Thanksgiving evening.  Brace yourself.  This may come as a big surprise.  Drum Roll Please.  Ahem.

Go-Go Rachness extends far beyond spewing hate, anger and wrath towards my nemesis' on this blog.

It's true.  I am also a loving, compassionate, loyal, trustworthy, responsible adult who is actually quite happy with my life, myself and the people I associate with.  In a word:  balance.

A fundamental part of my remaining on the level is for me to practice gratitude on a daily basis.  One of the few helpful things I learned in the cult of AA was the custom of writing a gratitude list in the morning while I have coffee. I will forever do this because there is nothing like starting the day off with my mind focused on what makes me happy. 

I've carried a notebook for everything (yeah, I know, ALL us creatives do) for as long as I can remember.  Most of my ideas come in the morning (even though, my morning is sometimes in the afternoon).  This is when I like to organize my day.  My gratitude list is the first thing I accomplish EVERY DAY, which serves as a wonderful passage to noting whatever free form creation is erupting in my brain when I am just getting out of bed.

I'm not hard on myself about what I write.  My goal is to jot down just five things (they don't even have to be admirable).  I swear, this minor ritual keeps me in a good place, even when I am down.  No matter what's going on in my life, I can ALWAYS come up with this short list.  My goal is to make sure I DO IT, even if I just write the same trite list every day for a month (or more, sometimes).  Repetition is GOOD, not to mention infinitely easier to deal with than wrestling depression ANY TIME.  

On the night before Thanksgiving, I look at my lists again to remind myself of the things I mentioned over and over throughout the previous year, then I whittle my entries down to the ten things that I am most grateful for.  While I drink my Thanksgiving coffee, I put my list on paper to be read to whomever I am lucky enough to feast with on this most joyous holiday.  My fondest memories are when I have been able to persuade my fellow diners to join me in this tradition.  It's pretty frickin' cool.  I encourage you to try it.

Okay, so without further ado, I humbly share my 2010 Thanksgiving Gratitude List with you as my way of showing my deep sense of appreciation for all the ways I am truly blessed.

 1.  My Momma - Without her, I would be the homeless, starving artist, bum that I probably deserve to be.

 2.  My *TRUE* friends - I've found out who you are this year and I LOVE YOU ALL SO MUCH!

 3.  My talents - Without them I would be in the nut house, for sure.

 4.  My Pug, Tolstoy - Seriously, this dog has kept me alive so many times in so many ways.  DOGS RULE!

 5.  My zest for learning - Opportunities are EVERYWHERE and I take advantage.

 6.  My car - 31 months of perfect payment history, four wheels and a means to travel wherever, whenever.

 7.  Minimalism - Letting go is an art form that I have learned to ENJOY.

 8.  The bitches who mugged me in Oakland, CA. - I would never know the joy of being "cell free" had you not jacked my brand new phone in May.  I hope to never carry one of those nasty critters again.

 9. Survival - To put it mildly, this year has been fucking crazy!  I made it because I am one tough BITCH.

10.  And last, but NOT least, I have to thank my final sponsor in the cult of AA for teaching me things that I  will NEVER forget.  ( read all about her right here: SOMEONE PLEASE PUT A WARNING LABEL ON THAT BITCH)

That's What's Up!

These are the things I am MOST grateful for.  How about you?  What's on your gratitude list this year?


 Live Like You Mean It! Go-Go Rach

DeConstrucor's Comment In Response to LETTER TO MY "FRIENDS" IN AA (page above)

"Brav fucking O.....Standing O fucking Vation. Or perhaps the Charlie Daniels quote from the Geico commercial of "thats how you do it son"

That was incredible.

Reminded me a little of "the letter" at the end of the Breakfast Club (perhaps the greatest movie ever)

Keep it up, dont be afraid to kick them in the teeth once in a while.

Always remember that its the misfits, the rebels, and the troublemakers that are the ones that change the world."

He post the following video at the end of his comment.

Thank you, my friend.
I am both Flattered and HONORED.
*STINKIN THINKAS UNITE!*


*This Video is here to support Decon's Words, not OBAMA (or any politician for that matter, since I've never been allowed to vote) Sincerely, Go-Go Rach.