Translate

THE DIARY OF A CHICK WHO WALKED AWAY FROM ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS (THE CULT)

My photo
Boston, MA, United States
I don’t need an introduction.

Thursday, January 6, 2011

WHO IS LAUGHING NOW?

When it means everything to you, you'll make the commitment to do whatever it takes. And with that total commitment, you'll get it done. Ralph Marston
 
Last time I moved to Vegas, it took eight months for me to find a job.  I was still wrapped up in the powerless mindset of THE CULT and I had started drinking heavily again.  Oh man, I was such a mess!  I spent every day hating myself for being a useless piece of crap, druggie, who would never get THE PROGRAM.  Of course, I blamed Vegas, but that was before I learned that I was brainwashed by a bunch of lies.

Here I am, almost nine years later, beaming with freedom from bondage and loving every second of my life.  I guess I should not be surprised that I landed a *KILLER* job today!

I've lived on next to nothing for well over a year.  It's been good because I discovered that I prefer minimalism.  Less is truly more.  Ironic as it is, the richness of my life became crystal clear when I overcame my desire for STUFF.  Now I just need to make enough money to support myself while I write my book and continue building my career.  Even though my mom is helping me out, I decided a few days ago to try to find a job.  Everyone needs cash.  I know one day my talents will bring it, in the meantime, I gotta eat.

I sent out two resumes on Monday afternoon.  One was for a business to business sales position (really wanted it!), the other was for a part time personal assistant position (eh, whatev).  My cover letter must have been good, because  I received a call from the Sales Manager of the company I was hoping to hear from two hours after I sent it!  We scheduled a meeting for Wednesday afternoon, two o'clock sharp.  I met with him today and I have to say this was the most fun I've had on any job interview (I've had hundreds of jobs).  This manager was super cool and interesting, plus I could tell he loved me, which is always nice. 

The interview went like a dream.  We got through the basic questions, he described the position, the money, the benefits, and how the training is set up.  Then, he put me on the spot when he asked me to sell his pen to him.  Have you ever been asked something like this during an interview?  I haven't, but I've never had the qualifications for a business to business gig, until now. 

Of course, I KILLED IT!  I just kept thinking why do we need a pen?  BAM!  The perfect question came to mind.  I asked, "how often do you use a pen?"  I was gonna follow with "well, sir, this pen will take you through months of writing..." but  he told me with a huge smile on his face that I could stop right there.  He explained the rare instance of my response, and I had one of those "Dirt Off Your Shoulder" moments Jay - Z raps about.

Apparently, most people will freeze during this test unable to come up with anything.  Others will sell the commodity of the pen, just telling the details.  Only ten percent of us respond with a qualifying question.  We are able to sell lots of pens.  The most pens, in fact.  He was so impressed by me that he asked if I had time to have my second interview right then with the owner of the company!

When I agreed, he left the room and I glimmered in happiness as I overheard him bragging about me. "She sold me the pen AND she asked for the job! She's the only one whose had the nuts to do that!"  I was ready to pinch myself when he said, "I want to hire her."  I gotta tell ya, this whole experience was pretty frickin' *AWESOME.*

The owner of the company came into the conference room, looked over my resume, then grilled me about why I think I can do business to business consulting work, since I've never done it.  He also questioned how long I planned on staying, if I was hired, since I've never lasted more a few years in any job.  The answers come out of my mouth with honesty and CONFIDENCE.  This is a feeling I've never possessed; for the first time ever, I know who I am.  I know what I am capable of and I know what I want to do.  GAWD.  This is incredible.  What a contrast to how I felt when I was in THE CULT.

My life was a mess the entire time I was in Alcoholics Anonymous.  Today it is not.  I am writing every day, painting, meeting fascinating and productive people who talk about all kinds of stuff.  I don't have to think or discuss how I used to be, unless I want to.  AND I have a fantastic job.  It's great.  Finally, I am able to let the past be the past.  *YAY*  

Who knew?

Certainly not me.  How could I?  I was shoved into rehab so young, convinced I had to live a way of life that is frankly, beneath me, while I allowed weak, simple minded, immature people tell me what to do.  What a joke!  Thank GAWD that life is behind me!

I continue to amaze myself by what I am able to accomplish now that I listen to ME.  My relationships are better, my attitude is better, I feel better and I obviously present myself better.   I've been in sales my entire adult life in some form or another, but I've never moved beyond the positions anyone can get.  This is a job that I had to prove myself for and they have decided to take a chance on me.  I am so incredibly grateful and I look forward to making these guys proud, and A TON OF MONEY.

I start on Monday and I am looking forward to getting dressed up for work in an office (my last job was selling SAT PREP from home).  My new boss walked me around the facility; introducing me to everyone.  The place is clean, smiles abound, and I am hella stoked because I get a base plus commission and BENIES!  They provide health insurance and two weeks paid vacation.  YUPPERS.  I am stepping up in the world.  The hours rule, too.  Monday through Friday, eight to five, with a full hour for lunch.  

Monday morning I will be taking the next step in my CULT FREE LIFE. I got BIG DREAMS, BAYBEH!  Here's the plan:  by day, I will be a top notch sales consultant, rockin' the house, banking every dollar I earn.  By night I'll perform random acts of Go-Go Rachness, blogging about life every step of the way!

 
Life is GOOD, I tell ya.

WHO IS LAUGHING NOW?

By GOLLY!  It's ME.

UPDATE:  Unfortunately, this job did not work out for me.  I could not sell consumer data bought through the credit bureau to the "relief industries" to spam people.  I am a broke INTEGRATE.

Like this? Please Share: 

DeConstrucor's Comment In Response to LETTER TO MY "FRIENDS" IN AA (page above)

"Brav fucking O.....Standing O fucking Vation. Or perhaps the Charlie Daniels quote from the Geico commercial of "thats how you do it son"

That was incredible.

Reminded me a little of "the letter" at the end of the Breakfast Club (perhaps the greatest movie ever)

Keep it up, dont be afraid to kick them in the teeth once in a while.

Always remember that its the misfits, the rebels, and the troublemakers that are the ones that change the world."

He post the following video at the end of his comment.

Thank you, my friend.
I am both Flattered and HONORED.
*STINKIN THINKAS UNITE!*


*This Video is here to support Decon's Words, not OBAMA (or any politician for that matter, since I've never been allowed to vote) Sincerely, Go-Go Rach.